I-4004

ben bfranchuk at jetnet.ab.ca
Tue Nov 16 19:22:48 CST 2021

On 2021-11-16 5:08 p.m., jim stephens via cctalk wrote:

> On 11/16/2021 2:20 PM, Al Kossow via cctalk wrote:
>> On 11/16/21 2:08 PM, Murray McCullough via cctalk wrote:
>>> Did the 4004 chip start our interest in microcomputing?
>>
>> no
>>

> I got interested in microprogramming  before it was hijacked as a a term
> for such devices.  It's generous at best to apply that term to a 4004
> anyway.
>
> In 1971 firmware and the like still was still very much something that
> was used in conjunction with system design.  A group was very active,
> SIGMicro to share techniques.  Only after most microprogramming vanished
> into a black hole in the silicon did it taper off.
>
> I'm glad some amount of that discipline has emerged in that context, and
> not applied to small ceramic chips with gold legs.
>
> thanks
> Jim

Only looking back now at the price and speed of main memory, I can see
micro-programming advantage. Having the word settle on 8 bit bytes;
(my vote was for 10 bits : 2 BCD digits + sign flag + end flag)
You have a severe lack opcode space as every thing is n+ bytes, compared
to when you could design the CPU to what ever word sized you needed and
room for micro-coded ops
and full alu rather than ADD DCA AND OPERATE.
Ben.

Back then you touch the hardware.