DEC Computer Lab for sale

Vincent Slyngstad vincent.slyngstad at gmail.com
Sun May 30 14:34:09 CDT 2021

On 5/30/2021 10:54 AM, Ethan Dicks wrote:
> On Sun, May 30, 2021 at 11:42 AM Vincent Slyngstad via cctalk
> <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>> https://so-much-stuff.com/pdp8/computerlab/computerlab.php
>> The photos get a little bigger if you click them.  Those bits of stamped
>> brass or whatever they are made of were probably pennies each.
>
> I've thought about what it might take to manufacture a pair of steel
> rollers that could stamp those out but I haven't gotten very far with
> it.  Same idea for the backplane bus strip DEC used to sell on the
> roll.
>
> Depending on level of detail, either a small CNC or possibly a wire
> EDM could make the dies.

I thought about machining a ram to deform an existing modern pin (or
even just tubing) to create the taper.

I also tried to cast some out of solder, but they had bubbles and were a
little too soft (tin-lead solder).  Also, with a solder connection you
really need a good strain relief.  At some point it's too much work for
what you're accomplishing (and still not very authentic).

	Vince