Looking for VAXSET Software Engineering Tools for VMS 4.x

Antonio Carlini a.carlini at ntlworld.com
Sun May 16 13:46:36 CDT 2021

On 16/05/2021 13:51, Malte Dehling wrote:
> I have now generated a contents listing for the CONOLD CDs:
>
> https://archive.org/details/vms-conold-1989-03
> https://archive.org/details/vms-conold-1989-07

That looks interesting: the fundamental VMS documentation is there, but
very little of the layered product info is present.

The MAR-1989 CONOLD has FORTRAN and DBMS and the JUL-1989 CONOLD has C,
FORTRAN, PASCAL, GKS, DBMS, VDE and DECforms.

So I would speculate that these would be amongst the earliest CONOLD
distributions. I read elsewhere (comp.os.vms) that the first CONDIST

went out in the VMS V5.0 timeframe and the 1989-05 CONDIST contains both
VMS V5.0 and V5.1. VMS V5.0 was announced

in APR-1998
(https://eisner.decus.org/anon/htnotes/note?f1=INDUSTRY_NEWS&f2=64.0),
so it is possible that some earlier CONDIST

may yet appear.

I've put the CD_CONTENTS.DAT that I have up on github:
https://github.com/AntonioCarlini/dec-cdrom-distros. (I just realised
that I've mis-named the 1989-05 release as 1989-03 ... I'll fix that rsn).

I guess that I should do something similar for the CONOLD CDROMs. Did
you find DECW$SHELF to be enough to build up an accurate list of contents?

Antonio

--
Antonio Carlini
antonio at acarlini.com