QBUS/UNIBUS card handles

Vincent Slyngstad vincent.slyngstad at gmail.com
Mon May 10 12:15:34 CDT 2021

On 5/10/2021 9:25 AM, Fritz Mueller via cctalk wrote:

>> On May 10, 2021, at 7:14 AM, Joshua Rice via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>> I would assume it would be trivial to do an injection-moulded run of these handles...
>
> They might also be ideal for silicone mold / resin cast, for smaller/home production runs?

Resin casting will work, but it's messy, etc.  I haven't had any trouble
with the toughness of 3D printed handles.  Honestly, I often attach them
with a pair of small zip-ties instead of rivets, and they are still
plenty strong.  The usual caveats about 3D printing apply -- just don't
print it so that the layers will be torn apart when you pull on it!

Maybe you PDP-11 guys are more used to hex cards, or something?  I did
have some PCB made where the card fingers tended to bind, but that's
best addressed with some careful filing and a tweak of the CAD files for
the next run :-).  (The CAD files on so-much-stuff have long been
tweaked for a good fit to the connector blocks.)

	Vince