Early Programming Books

Paul Birkel pbirkel at gmail.com
Mon Jun 21 04:03:35 CDT 2021

Well, utility depends on the objective.  One that immediately springs to mind in an era when "computing" had a dearth of practitioners would be to inform various audiences "what is involved".

The Dekker (1957) reference seems to be targeted at an audience interested in expressing mathematical statements in terms of the von Neumann model, generally building up to the idea of algorithms and their general reduction to a sequence of computational steps in that model of computation.  This would be a pre-ALGOL 58 world and one can see the paper as a motivation for an ALGOL- (or FORTRAN-) like language.  (Caveat:  I've just skimmed a poor translation; more careful study required!)

The McCracken (1957) book seems to be targeted at an audience of future practitioners, giving a feel for how a hypothetical instruction set would be employed "in daily practice" to solve problems.  Perhaps answering the question of "would I like to become [or could I handle becoming] a 'programmer' " in an era when that was about to become a new specialty and career path.

A numerical analyst (e.g.) might find the Dekker text more accessible; an engineer might find the McCracken book more to their liking.

IMO, "in the world before 1960" both are "useful" without becoming a machine-specific instruction manual or cook-book.