Early Programming Books

Paul Birkel pbirkel at gmail.com
Sun Jun 20 03:43:58 CDT 2021

I know of two early computer (in the stored program sense) programming
books.

    1951: Preparation of Programs for an Electronic Digital Computer
(Wilkes, Wheeler, & Gill)

    1957: Digital Computer Programming (McCracken)

What others were published prior to the McCracken text?

Excluded are lecture compendia and symposia proceedings, such as:

    1946: Moore School Lectures

    1947: Proceedings of a Symposium on Large-Scale Digital Calculating
Machinery

    1951: Proceedings of a Second Symposium on Large-Scale Digital
Calculating Machinery

    1953: Faster Than Thought, A Symposium On Digital Computing Machines

These were principally about designs for, and experience with, new hardware.

I'm curious about texts specifically focused on the act of programming.
Were there others prior to McCracken?

paul