APL\360

Sean Conner spc at conman.org
Fri Jan 29 20:51:17 CST 2021

It was thus said that the Great Fred Cisin via cctalk once stated:
> >Whenever I start a new job the first thing I do today is enable
> >-Werror; all warnings are errors. And I’ll fix every one. Even
> >when everyone claims that “These are not a problem”. Before
> >that existed, I’d do the same with lint, and FlexeLint when I
> >could get it.
>
> On Fri, 29 Jan 2021, wrcooke at wrcooke.net wrote:
> >That's exactly what I did and was then told I was likely to get fired for
> >it.  I left that job soon after.
> >"A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new." -- Albert
> >Einstein
>

> Similarly, "You don't have time to write comments as you go along.  You
> can go back and add them in AFTER the program is working."  Of course, as
> soon as it "seems to be working", "We're not paying you to mess with stuff
> that's already DONE.  We have ANOTHER project that you have to get on
> immediately."
>
> It's not good to be in a job where they won't let you be thorough in error
> checking nor let you write comments.

  I had a manager that told me not to be so pedantic about verifying the
incoming SIP messages because otherwise we (the Company) were going to go
out of business in six months if we didn't get the product OUT THE DOOR!

  I compromised on it---I didn't remove the checks, but for those that
didn't matter to our processing the message, I just logged the violation and
continued processing.  No one in the department was familiar with SIP at the
time so I figured tha was at least help us debug any issues.

  Of course, said manager left six months later because of burnout [1], and
two, I'm still at the same job five years later.

  -spc

[1]	He was originally a developer who was forced into a management role,
	something he was *very bad at*, and he still did development work,
	not fully trusting anyone underneath him (nor operations, but that's
	a whole other story).