APL\360

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Fri Jan 29 13:12:45 CST 2021

On Fri, Jan 15, 2021 at 11:21:11AM -0500, Nemo Nusquam via cctalk wrote:
[...]
> In 1999, a fellow student in a UML course worked for a large information
> company (Reuters, I think?) and told me that they had embarked on an
> expensive s/w conversion project. Their back-end systems were implemented
> in APL and they could not find programmers -- even ones willing to learn
> APL for pay.

I'd have taken it if the price was right. Heck, I seem to have spent most of
my career wading through fossilised Perl, so it's not as if I'd notice much
difference.

Companies moaning that they can't find staff inevitably turn out to be
offering less than the going rate for what they're demanding and/or the
company is toxic. Usually both.