UNIVAC

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Fri Jan 29 11:19:35 CST 2021

On 1/29/21 8:30 AM, Pete Turnbull via cctalk wrote:
> On 29/01/2021 15:51, Bill Degnan via cctalk wrote:
>> I have learned that Bakelite insulating is phenol and formaldehyde with
>> embedded asbestos.  Does anyone have any Bakelite insulation in any of
>> their vintage computers?
>
> *Some* Bakelite contains asbestos.  The primary filler is commonly wood
> flour.  I worked with the Estates' asbestos team at a university and we
> found that a lot of Bakelite does not contain any asbestos.  The trouble
> is, you can't tell without proper analysis.

I suspect that any danger from asbestos-reinforced Bakelite in computers
is very minimal, as the stuff usually isn't machined to any extent and
isn't used as a friction surface.  I doubt that a Bakelite lamp socket,
switch body or terminal strip, for example sheds much of the fiber
during its normal operating life.

Unlike, for example, automotive brake linings.

--Chuck