APL\360

Boris Gimbarzevsky boris at summitclinic.com
Fri Jan 15 13:30:40 CST 2021

Thanks for the link.  Coincidentally, recently while going through my
ancient Calgary printouts, found a few small APL programs I wrote in
1968 or 1969.  There was an APL system being trialed at UofCalgary
and a group of us had a chance to play around with it for a few
hours.  It was very novel back then to have immediate results of a
program instead of 24-48 hour turnaround for a batch FORTRAN job.  It
was an easy language to learn but recall just writing a few simple
one or two line programs and essentially using it as a sophisticated
calculator to get immediate results for a physics problem.

Glad to see that APL manuals now online and can now decode what I was
trying to do on those printouts with APL hieroglyphics.  Reminds me a
bit of FOCAL on PDP-8 which was used to quickly create throwaway
programs that were just needed for a calculation that was too tedious
to do by hand or with a slide rule but too simple to go through
bother of writing a FORTRAN program.