Rod Coleman's personal history of founding, building & running SAGE

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Mon Jan 4 11:26:08 CST 2021

On Mon, 4 Jan 2021 at 17:42, Bill Degnan <billdegnan at gmail.com> wrote:

> Agreed.
>
> A fully provisioned IBM PC / XT in 1981-4 was pretty expensive too, that's why 8-bit machines continued to sell well into the later 80's.  16-bit was overkill for most home needs.  Apple would not have survived the 80's without their 8-bit machine sales, and Commodore, Atari, Tandy....

Definitely true.

And one thing that interests me is the double factoid:
[1] The companies that threw away their 8-bit line and did something
totally new for their 16-bit lines generally did better, and attempts
at backwards-compatibility failed

_except_

[2] For Intel/MICROS~1, who somehow managed to smoothly transition
from 8/16 → true 16-bit → 32-bit → 64-bit → multi-CPU →
multi-core/multi-CPU, across multiple expansion buses, memory
architectures and more...

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk – gMail/gTalk/gHangouts: lproven at gmail.com