ICL PERQ 2 T2 Micropolis 1303 spinning down.

Torfinn Ingolfsen tingox at gmail.com
Sat Jan 2 07:45:47 CST 2021

On Sat, Jan 2, 2021 at 2:03 PM Chris Zach via cctalk
<cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> I am dealing with this a *lot* with all these disks from Bob's basement.
> The problems seem to be three categories:
>
> 1) Disk does not spin up at all. So far it's all been sticking motors,
> they don't have a lot of start up torque at all. For the first 4 disks
> (ST412, Quantum 30mb, and two ST506) I was able to remove the bottom
> board, turn the disks manually (clockwise) while applying power to spin
> them up. The motor will start to turn, then as you continue to spin it
> with your finger it will go faster as the oils distribute themselves.

Sometimes, the "stuck drive" problem can be overcome by a gentle
"whack" with the handle of a screwdriver or other non-metallic object
to the side of the hard drive, (hopefully) in the direction of spin of
the hard drive. I have done this a few times on 5.25 inch hard drives
at least. With success, Procedure: with the drive powered up, hold it,
and gently give it a whack on the side, in the direction you think it
should spin. If it doesn't work after one or two tries, try something
else.
Caveat: this might affect your drive negatively.

HTH
--
Regards,
Torfinn Ingolfsen