External SCSI Drives on DEC2000 AXP

Nigel Johnson Ham g4ajq1 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 5 07:45:58 CST 2021

I am trying to format a couple of SCSI drives on the Alpha.  They are
connected using the external cable and are mounted in an Open Storage
Systems (OSS) box. The drives were working when removed from a PC.

SRM shows only one of them coming up as DKA200.  I have set the two
drive ID switches to 2 and 3.

Lack of info is hampering me, I have gleaned form various sources that
the following command should work:

>>>t scsi format a 2 0

which just returns

>>>OK

immediately, without doing anything.

VMS allows me to ini the disk, but then when I try to mount it, I get an
operator services message saying it is offline, please mount volume in
_$3$dka200:

Anybody with experience here?

cheers,

Nigel

--
Nigel Johnson, MSc., MIEEE, MCSE VE3ID/G4AJQ/VA3MCU
Amateur Radio, the origin of the open-source concept!
Skype:  TILBURY2591 nw.johnson at ieee.org