Ultrix-11 Networking

Bill Gunshannon bill.gunshannon at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 28 12:15:47 CDT 2021

On 8/28/21 1:03 PM, Douglas Taylor via cctalk wrote:
> Yes, I did create a new kernel and copy it to the correct place and
> chmod 644 the new unix file.

Did yo have fun playing with the overlays?  :-)

> On my Debian system I can install ftpd and telnetd (they are still in
> the Debian package list) which are the unsecure ones, but I don't know
> how to configure them or start them.  As in, # systemctl  restart ftpd

Probably easier to turn them on on Ultrix-11.  Just modify inetd.conf.
Actually, I just looked and ftp is on by default. Telnet is not.

> It turns out to not be a hot topic: "How do I make my Liinux system less
> secure?",  but for us that noodle around with old computers with
> obsolete operating systems it is exactly what we need.  In the past I
> remember using Filezilla to go from a Windows7 machine into a Vax
> without any problem.

I suspect you will be somewhat disappointed with networking in
Ultrix-11.  Not that there is something wrong with it, just that
the hardware is nothing like you are used to.  In the early days
of networking it was not unusual for systems like the PDP-11 to
crash just because of the traffic passing by on their network
connection.  The advent of switches helped alleviate that but it
is still common to crash a system by pushing data at it from a
modern ftp.  I expect FileZila will do it.  To be honest, I always
preferred Kermit for moving files.  It is possible to keep packet
sizes down and even slow down the transfer rate to give the PDP
time to handle it.

bill