Scanning Suggestions (Bookmarks & Colour)

Antonio Carlini a.carlini at ntlworld.com
Fri Aug 27 17:05:24 CDT 2021

On 27/08/2021 22:10, Al Kossow via cctalk wrote:
> On 8/27/21 2:05 PM, Paul Koning via cctalk wrote:
>
>> For material such as the RSX manuals you mentioned, the tool needed
>> is a compression algorithm that handles color with hard edges
>> faithfully.  Basically that means a lossless compression scheme.
>> That should be fine, since pages like that should compress very well,
>> at least if the scan has been touched up just a bit to make the page
>> background reasonably pure white.
>
> Ethan worked on a filter a long time ago for DEC manuals. J David
> Bryan's work was mentioned recently.

I did see it, but it didn't look like a cookie-cutter recipe. I'd be
happy to be proved wrong though. What I don't want to have to do is
manually process each page (beyond having to decide which to scan in
colour). I would be looking for an algorithm or process that I can just
point at scanner data for a page and have it spit out the optimised PDF
page. I'm sure that will appear at some stage, but I don't think it
exists yet. The RSX-11M/M-PLUS Error Logging Manual, for example, has
somewhere between 20 and 50 pages with colour present. I can pick those
out and re-scan them and I can relatively easily merge those pages with
the original B&W scan, but if I have to manually examine each page, I'll
never make it to whatever manual is in my list after that one :-)

> It is trivial to add page bookmarks with Eric Smith's tumble with the
> -b %F option

Thanks, I'll look into tumble.

Antonio

--