Ultrix-11

Bill Gunshannon bill.gunshannon at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 25 15:47:24 CDT 2021

On 8/25/21 12:04 PM, Douglas Taylor via cctalk wrote:
> On 8/22/2021 8:21 AM, Bill Gunshannon via cctalk wrote:

>>> They are indeed different.  V7m is based on 7th edition A&T UNIX,
>>> whereas Ultrix was based in BSD.
>>>
>>> JRJ
>>
>> Actually, Ultrix-11 is based on V7m and Ultrix032 is based on BSD 4.x.
>>
>> bill
>>
> In the video on youtube and in my experience the screen formating codes
> seem to be incorrect.  You can see this in the video when a man page is
> brought up.  The bolding does not occur.  I get the same result after
> installing.  The same with vi, it doesn't work in the video and doesn't
> work after installation.  I've tried Teraterm, putty, xterm all with the
> same result.  Haven't tried an actual terminal yet.  What was your
> experience?

Same thing at the moment.  I really don't remember much from the past
as I haven't used Ultrix-11 in several years.  I suspect it has
something to do with number of bits and parity.  May be another thing
that works once you have a non-generic kernel.  I seem to remember
RS232 character characteristics changing during the boot process.
I think BSD211 has the same quirk.  Of course, once you have a custom
kernel you can use a better serial card and login to that.  :-)

I am hoping top get back to this soon, but at the moment I have a
house full of sick people and I am pretty much the only one still
able to moitivate.

bill