IBM PC diagnostics disks

Jay Jaeger cube1 at charter.net
Mon Aug 16 16:57:15 CDT 2021

On 8/10/2021 10:30 PM, Jay Jaeger via cctech wrote:
> On 7/29/2021 1:22 PM, Mark Huffstutter via cctech wrote:
>> Yes, I sadly, learned that important lesson years ago, after finding My
>> "Original" Original PC DOS diskette set pretty much destroyed, left in
>> The folders in storage for too long.....

Correction:  Out of  49 AT&T floppies that were in their paper envelopes
inside vinyl exactly ONE turned out to actually be bad - and it had been
bad many years ago (1997) when I got them.  So, to date I have not
experienced any issues with vinyl holders - so long as the floppy is in
its paper sleeve, at least.

The problem I actually discovered this week that I was not reading the
3B2 floppies on a 96 TPI drive (they are 512 byte sectors, 80 tracks,
two sides, 9 sectors "quad" density.)  Once I figured that out, all but
the one read just fine.   On the other hand, several copies I made on a
PC floppy drive (I think) back when were mostly bad (either that, or I
made them on the 3B2, but used HD media, perhaps).

One final note:  why do I re-image stuff using different techniques?
Well, here is a case in point.  The images that (I believe) I had made
of these floppies in 1997 - I think using dd on the 3b2 itself to files
on the hard disk, and then transferred using zmodem to my PC - were all
ONE TRACK SHORT.  Now, there is a pretty good chance that that last
track on most of those floppies didn't have any real data - but one
never knows.  I did verify that the first 79 tracks of those images, and
those I made the past couple of days were the same.

Using my new greaseweazle I have verified that images I made of PC
floppies of various sorts (160, 360, 720, 1.2M (including RT/PC),
1.44M), RX50 were all just fine.  Only the 3B2 images were off.

JRJ