Compilers and languages (Was: Help reading a 9 track tape

dwight dkelvey at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 3 09:04:02 CDT 2021

Recompiling Forth was always such a trivial process, there was no reason to not recompile itself using itself. It was also a good check of the output. One could compare the output and check any differences to ensure that they were intended. One could run it twice again as a check as well.
It wouldn't always ensure that it had no errors but would validate that only the intended changes were there. Some of the early Forths had bugs in some of the math operations.
I recall reading about such errors in the groups and recompiling the version I had to fix such errors.
Dwight