eBay sellers

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Thu Apr 15 15:51:35 CDT 2021

    > From: William Donzelli

    > Sellers of collectibles and antiques get bombarded with nitpicks and
    > corrections. Often these are right, but often they are wrong.

Yeah, that's why I didn't just assert 'this is wrong, X is right', but I gave
them the things to look at so they could verify for themselves that my claim
was correct.

    > Passing a URL through the Ebay system is trickly, to say the least
    > ... "Check this document 123-456-78 in bitsavers, page 26".

Yeah, I didn't try and pass a URL, too hard; (and in any case, a tricky con
artist could point to a fake document they had posted). I guess I should have
said 'Check the PC05 manual, look on BiSavers in dec/foo/bar to find it, pg.
xyz'.

    > From: Bill Degnan

    > I went to this guys place and saw the tape reader first hand. Its in
    > better condition than mine.

Oh, I didn't have a problem with the condition; just that it was
incorrectly labelled.

    > From: Jay West

    > I would think the thing that would make it stand out and make him
    > change it - tell him a PC05 doesn't connect to a PDP8, it goes with
    > something completely different (a PDP11 ofc, correct?).

Yes, the PC05 is for the PDP-11 (and others):

  https://gunkies.org/wiki/PC04/PC05_High-Speed_Paper-Tape_Reader/Punch

Yes, what I _should_ have done is say 'the PC05 is for the PDP-11; the PC04
(which this is) won't work on a PDP-11. If a PDP-11 owner buys this for his
PDP-11, he'll probably by unhappy'.

	Noel