DEC H8575-A DB25 to MMJ

Glen Slick glen.slick at gmail.com
Thu Apr 1 19:54:10 CDT 2021

On Wed, Mar 31, 2021 at 10:57 AM Bill Gunshannon via cctalk
<cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> On 3/31/21 9:40 AM, Paul Koning via cctalk wrote:
> >
> > I think MMJ connectors are still available; L-Com comes to mind as a source.  Or perhaps Digikey or similar distributors.  That would let you make your own.  Crimp dies might be a little harder, though an RJ-45 crimp tool might be able to do the job.
>
> Crimpers for MMJ are as available as ever.  Not cheap, but then, they
> never were.  An RJ45 dies will not work on an MMJ plug.

A couple years back you could buy a DEC H8220 bag of 50 MMJ connectors
from Vnetek for around $15. I bought a few bags of 50 connectors at
the time. As far as I know Vnetek Communications had acquired the
rights to DECserver products, and might have previously operated as
Digital Networks. Unfortunately Vnetek Communications appears to have
disappeared without a trace a while ago.

If you want to make up a large number of MMJ cables using some
original DECconnect cable, here is a listing of a 1000ft spool of
original DEC H8240 cable. Some people have bought some of those spools
and reported that they are original DECconnect branded cable:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/162291819594

You used to be able to buy a Paladin (then Greenlee, then Tempo?)
PA8035 CrimpALL tool which included the PA2067 MMJ die. You can still
find the PA8000 CrimpALL tool without a die, but the PA2067 MMJ die
was discontinued a while ago and doesn't appear easy to find now. I
bought a PA8035 back when I bought the MMJ connectors. Never got
around to building up any MMJ cables yet, I already have enough
original cables on hand for now.