Next project: 11/24. Does it need memory?--Progress sorta

Chris Zach cz at alembic.crystel.com
Thu Oct 22 18:21:49 CDT 2020

Interesting. I went up to the attic and opened the Unibus box. I have 3
extra 11/24 boards, and I have *NO* idea why. Oi. So anyway I started
popping them into the 11/24 chassis to see what happens. Run/halt in
halt, looking for anything.

On the first one (old style) same problem: The CPU board does not talk
to the VT52. The second one however brought up ODT with
000000
@

Progress! I immediately stopped and documented the switch settings:
Left switch : 0,0,0,1 0,0,0,1
Right switch: 0,1,0,1 0,1,0,0

All three lights (clock, 1,2) come on. And I can press enter and get @
so it does listen to the console. However if enter 0/ the CPU locks up
and the CPU light goes off. Only way to get back is to power cycle.
Likewise starting with the switch in RUN will do this, as will toggling
it to BOOT.

So it's probably unable to access memory. I did try pulling the unibus
map, then the memory, then everything but the terminator. Same response. Hm.

I could try re-jumpering my memory board to appear as MUD memory and try
it without the KT24 and see if the problem is there. It's possible. If I
did that would I put the memory in slot 2 or leave it in slot 3?

The other two boards failed the same way as the first. One of the boards
is a *new* style one with the ASICs onboard, it has three switch boxes,
is there a manual to describe this one?

I did try to set the switches on the original cpu to match the working
one. The original had
0,0,0,1 0,0,0,1 (same)       0,0,1,0 0,1,0,0
Switching thr right switch to 0,1,0,1 does seem to put garbage on the
VT52, so something might be happening.

I also found a M7850 memory board (1mb, for 11/750, 730, and kind of
11/70) which I am guessing won't work in the EUB. Anyone want to swap it
for a EUB memory board or a 256K working UNIBUS memory board?

CZ