college study

Bill Gunshannon bill.gunshannon at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 13 20:22:37 CDT 2020

On 10/13/20 3:17 PM, Paul Koning via cctalk wrote:

>> On Oct 13, 2020, at 2:50 PM, Cindy Croxton via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

>> My college friend says Wow, that is a LOT of work!
>>
>> Is there an expectation now that being educated is NOT a lot of work?
>
> It depends.  In sciences, people understand that it's a lot of work.  In what Robert Heinlein called the "fuzzy subjects", you can often be a party animal who does very little real work and get a degree anyway.  If so, it doesn't mean you learned anything and it doesn't mean the field you picked as a major has any merit or usefulness.

Many moons ago I used to work  in a paper products plant.  I used to
have discussions on philosophy and literature with people with Masters
and even Phd's that stuffed boxes with product just like I did.  It did
help pass the time but seemed somewhat of a waste of a lot of time and
money on their part.

I got my degree four years before my retirement.

bill