cc:Mail

Tomas By tomas at basun.net
Thu Oct 8 03:38:32 CDT 2020

On Thu, 08 Oct 2020 03:41:03 +0200, Grant Taylor via cctalk wrote:
> On 10/7/20 6:57 PM, Tomas By wrote:
> > [...] I think the bottom two are the same (i.e. delete "mobile" and
> > change "remote"->"mobile").
>
> I don't think they are.
>
> They may be the same software / product.  But they are serving two
> distinct functions.  The upper one is what allows road warrior clients
> to dial into, the "server" service if you will.  The lower one is the
> road warrior "client" which does the dialing.

I meant products. In your terms (I believe), the upper bit is part of
the PO and the lower one is "mobile".

(There may have been some evolution, so that in earlier versions the
dialling-in server was a separate thing.)

> [...] What software were you running on the 200LX? [...]
> My read is that cc:Mail Mobile is also the server side product that
> allows dialing in and exchanging email.

It's in ROM on the 200LX. When I select Help/About in the app, it says
"cc:Mail mobile". I cannot find anything in the manual, but I am sure
I have read it elsewhere also. I cannot remember seeing "cc:Mail remote"
anywhere, until now.

/Tomas