Microsoft C 6.0 manuals

Frank McConnell fmc at reanimators.org
Wed Oct 7 11:33:50 CDT 2020

On Oct 7, 2020, at 8:29, Chuck Guzis via cctalk wrote:

> On 10/7/20 7:23 AM, Tomas By via cctalk wrote:
>> On Wed, 07 Oct 2020 16:18:15 +0200, <dave.g4ugm at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Would then not be on MSDN cds from around that time?
>>

>> I don't think so. I did spend some effort to locate on of those that I
>> had some reference to, but it turned out to be nothing. (And I have
>> checked at least ten MSDN CDs for this material.)
>
> I don't know if I hung onto the MSC 6.0 manuals, but am looking at what
> amounts to a sizeable portion of a bookshelf that deals with 7.0.
> That's a lot of paper.  Just the "Comprehensive Index and Errors" book
> looks to be somewhere around 400-500 pages.
>
> I don't believe that MSC was part of MSDN back then.  At least I don't
> recall seeing it on my CD collection, although ISTR that there were
> services packs for it there.

My recollection is that MS Visual C 1.0 came with a big box of paper manuals.
MS Visual C 1.5 was the first one where you had to take it on CD-ROM.  At the
time (early 1994) MSDN was a serial with approximately quarterly single
CD-ROM issues whose content varied.  This was all in the Time Before PDF so
proprietary reading/searching software was involved.

-Frank McConnell