UUCP on macOS / *BSD

Grant Taylor cctalk at gtaylor.tnetconsulting.net
Sun Jun 28 20:07:59 CDT 2020

Does anyone have any experience with UUCP on macOS or *BSD systems that
would be willing to help me figure something out?

I'm working on adding a macOS X system to my micro UUCP network and
running into some problems.

   - uuto / uucp copy files from my non-root / non-(_)uucp user to the
UUCP spool.  But the (demand based) ""call (pipe over SSH) is failing.
   - running "uucico -r1 -s <remote system name> -f" as the (_)uucp user
(via sudo) works.
   - I'm using the pipe port type and running things over an SSH connection.
      - The (_)uucp user can ssh to the remote system as expected
without any problems or being prompted for a password.  (Service
specific keys w/ forced command.)

I noticed that the following files weren't set UID or GID like they are
on Linux.  But I don't know if that's a macOS and / or *BSD difference
when compared to Linux.

/usr/bin/uucp
/usr/bin/uuname
/usr/bin/uustat
/usr/bin/uux
/usr/sbin/uucico
/usr/sbin/uuxqt

Adding the set UID & GID bits allowed things to mostly work.

Aside:  Getting the contemporary macOS so that I could edit the
(/usr/share/uucp/) sys & port files was a treat.

I figured that it was worth inquiring if anyone had any more experience
/ tips / gotchas before I go bending ~> breaking things even more.

Thank you.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die