Amiga Vendors?

David Brownlee abs at absd.org
Thu Jun 11 07:45:32 CDT 2020

On Thu, 11 Jun 2020 at 11:58, Liam Proven via cctalk
<cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
> There was also a 3rd party multiprocessor board, the Hydra from
> Simtech, but the appearance of the DEC-designed StrongARM killed that
> off -- one 200MHz StrongARM was performance competitive with half a
> dozen ~25MHz ARM710 processors.
>
> http://chrisacorns.computinghistory.org.uk/32bit_UpgradesH2Z/Simtec_Hydra.html

The big issue with the Hydra was its lack of cache coherency between
processors, which made conventional SMP somewhat... challenging. You
could do very cool multiprocessor stuff with it, just not in a
conventional SMP capable OS (I remember talking to someone trying to
use it under NetBSD at the time :)

David