OpenVMS Community License

Antonio Carlini a.carlini at ntlworld.com
Wed Jul 29 09:13:12 CDT 2020

On 29/07/2020 14:29, Bill Gunshannon via cctalk wrote:

> This supposed Mentec Hobbyist License has been obsolete and invalid
> for decades.  It never covered use on real PDP-11 hardware.  It was
> only valid for one particular emulator which ceased to exist the
> day Bob Supnik left DEC.  I

I think that emulator definitely continued beyond the point at which Bob
Supnik left. You might be able to argue that it ceased to exist when DEC
ceased to exist, but usually the rights and obligations would simply
pass on to its successors (which probably means HPE ... which I think is
where we started). Any, all that matters is is Mentec's successors
interpretation.

> t has floated around for ages and
> apparently, still, no one has actually read it, but me!!

And me :-)

> There was an attempt to get a PDP-11 Hobbyist Program from Mentec
> many years later but it died on the vine and while they never
> actually said why they decided not to do it, many of us had our
> suspicions.

I'm curious. What suspicions?

Antonio

--