OpenVMS Community License

Bill Gunshannon bill.gunshannon at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 29 08:29:31 CDT 2020

On 7/29/20 9:19 AM, Paul Koning via cctalk wrote:

>> On Jul 29, 2020, at 4:28 AM, Antonio Carlini via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

>> For those of you with hobbyist licence PAKs, I presume that pakgen.c will work on all versions that VSI doesn't support. I know it's frowned on but it's not really different to running PDP-11 software is it (as that is/was generally not licenced).
>
> Not licensed?  What about the Mentec hobbyist license?  That's pretty broad and clear.

Sigh....  Here we go again.

This supposed Mentec Hobbyist License has been obsolete and invalid
for decades.  It never covered use on real PDP-11 hardware.  It was
only valid for one particular emulator which ceased to exist the
day Bob Supnik left DEC.  It has floated around for ages and
apparently, still, no one has actually read it, but me!!

There was an attempt to get a PDP-11 Hobbyist Program from Mentec
many years later but it died on the vine and while they never
actually said why they decided not to do it, many of us had our
suspicions.

bill