Compaq Smart Array 3200 Controller as a SCSI Controller

Dave Wade dave.g4ugm at gmail.com
Tue Jul 14 13:41:25 CDT 2020

Ali,
Its been a long time, but I think the answer is no. A tape is not a disk and
uses a different SCSI command set to a disk. For example you can't rewind a
disk.

I found a SmartArray 3200 manual here:-

http://index-of.es/Tutorials/Proliant%201600/SmartArray3200.pdf

and in the Q&A it says :-

Q. Does the Smart Array 3200 Controller support SCSI tape drives and CD-ROM
drives?
A. No; the Smart Array 3200 Controller only supports Wide-Ultra2
SCSI,Wide-Ultra SCSI-3, Fast-Wide SCSI-2, and Fast SCSI-2 hard drives.

So I would say not.

I know you can define a JBOD but a JBOD is not passed through as a physical
disk. In most RAID controllers you can still carve up a JBOD into multiple
LUNS.
The devices the OS sees are "logical abstractions" of the devices the RAID
controller sees and need to be be mapped to the physical devices in the
controller.

Dave
G4UGM

SCSI