About to dump a bunch of Compaq SCSI disk caddies (and disks)

John-Paul Stewart jpstewart at sympatico.ca
Tue Jul 7 21:10:55 CDT 2020

On 2020-07-07 12:52 p.m., Liam Proven via cctalk wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Jul 2020 at 18:14, Alessandro Mazzini via cctalk
> <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>>
>> Flebay is quite overpriced, sadly ( personal opinion anyway, from
>> the point of view of someone that's now looking at finding a thing
>> since months and is fixated about a real price vs an enflated one
>
> I often hear comments like this, but I don't really understand them.
>
> People pay what they are willing to pay.

That is true if things are actually selling.  But from what I've seen
(and why I agree with the earlier comment about ebay often being
overpriced) is that sellers list stuff at overly inflated prices and
then let it sit there unsold.

For a recent real-world example, look at SPARCstation 20s on ebay.  A
quick glance shows there are at least three listed right now between
$800 and $1000 (US Dollars), and they've each been listed for 4-8 months.

About a week ago there were two other SS 20s up for auction with $99 USD
starting bids.  The cosmetically better one went for just over $200 with
several bidders.  The damaged one sold (just minutes later) for $125 USD
with only two bidders.  (I was the winning bidder on that one.)

Those auctions are probably very good indications of what people are
willing to pay.  But those other sellers are still asking 4x or 5x that
amount in their "buy it now" sales ... unsold for months and seemingly
unaware of the auction values of the two that did sell.