Odd vintage computer sellers

Zane Healy healyzh at avanthar.com
Thu Jan 2 13:14:58 CST 2020

> On Jan 2, 2020, at 11:02 AM, Alan Perry via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>
> The seller is still trying to sell 2 of the original 6 S4000DXs (that at one point included the one that I have). However, the pricing has changed. Now, instead of the old base price of around $225, the base price is now $3060. Yes, $3000. But they are being offered with an 83% discount, so one can get a S4000DX for the low, low price of just under $500.
>
> I find this amazing and odd.
>
> alan

If the seller gets lucky and finds a business, or someone supporting a Government contract that just *HAS* to have the system, then $3000 is a good deal.  More likely than not it will continue to sit.

I’ve been after a manual for months.  There is one up on eBay for $520, it’s been there for months.  A few weeks ago the seller sent out an offer to anyone watching, with an offer of $399, I sent a counter offer of $99.  I just bought a copy that turned up yesterday for $20.

I’ve been watching VAXstation prices.  Now there is something all over the place.  I don’t really need any more VAX hardware, I’ve moved to emulation, but wouldn’t mind a working 4000/VLC.  What I really want are a couple terminals, and especially a specific keyboard that can be used on my VT420.  I can find them at times, just not at prices that make sense for me to buy.

Zane