Teac FD-54

Patrick Finnegan pat at vax11.net
Sat Feb 15 12:47:42 CST 2020

On Sat, Feb 15, 2020, 13:38 Chuck Guzis via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org>
wrote:

> On 2/12/20 4:49 AM, Patrick Finnegan via cctalk wrote:
> > I've got a couple of Teac FD-54B's that appear to have problems with
> their
> > index sensors. Does anyone have any docs for these? The internet seems to
> > barely know they exist vs the FD-55, which has info everywhere. I'm
> thrown
> > off a bit by the 3 wire phototransistor (vs the common 2 wire ones) they
> > they use, and I haven't quite disassembled it enough to figure out a
> part #
> > for that.
>
> Herb Johnson (retrotechnology) has a service manual; also look in the
> Tandy 1000 service manual--ISTR that there's an FD54 techref buried
> somewhere in the middle of that thing.

After more diagnosis, it looks like they're TTL level output photo
detectors. They have the same looking part for the write protect notch,
though that one isn't stuck high.

I'm not sure why the index sensors on both are broken, but not the write
protect notch sensors. Hopefully once the replacements arrive, replacing
that will fix the drives.  The drives look pristine on the inside.

Pat