Wanted, Papertape Reader for Archiving Tapes

steven at malikoff.com steven at malikoff.com
Tue Apr 28 17:30:45 CDT 2020

Bill said
> Hi - COVID project.... I have been attempting to read some old Honeywell
> DDP-516 papertapes using the OP-80A or Teletype reader but it's inefficient
> and I don't want to damage the tapes.  Does anyone have a reliable
> papertape reader for sale, or recommend one currently out there on Ebay,

I have an EECO MT-82 (manual on bitsavers), and it's ok but pulls the tape through in short
sharp bursts rather than a continuous smooth action, even on the lowest baud rate.
I have the serial version, there is a separate I/O board for serial and parallel. For
some reason the right-hand spindle always runs, perhaps the driver transistor logic has some
problem. I don't use the spindles anyway as I have no reels (I am designing 3D printed ones)
but the spindle speed is way too fast for old tapes anyway, I think.

With the OP-80A you could try rigging up a small motor to pull the tapes through at slow
speed, say a LEGO Technic M size motor driving LEGO tires through a simple gearbox. And build
up some sort of tape guide from LEGO as well.

Steve.