Core Memory Photo

Tony Aiuto tony.aiuto at gmail.com
Thu Apr 16 19:53:36 CDT 2020

On Thu, Apr 16, 2020 at 6:02 PM Jules Richardson via cctalk <
cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> On 4/15/20 6:22 PM, keith--- via cctalk wrote:
> > I have three others with the cover still on :)  I want to make a clear
> > plexiglass cover for them.
>
> Just for fun, this is what I have from a Lockheed MAC-16 machine:
>
> http://www.classiccmp.org/acornia/tmp/catcore.jpg
>
> ... the white line is a cat hair, just to give an idea of scale. It's
> incredibly fine stuff (and if I remember right this board was from 1970; I
> didn't think core got that compact until more toward the end of the
> decade,
> right at the tail end of core's era, when semiconductor RAM had become
> commonplace).
>
> *somewhere* I have a microscope, so might try photographing through that
> at
> some point; this was the best I could do with a loupe held over my
> camera's
> lens.

 I'm now tempted to try with the macro adapter for my good camera and see
how if I can improve on this one

https://goo.gl/photos/bV2JGbnDUH4uU7CDA

and this fun bit of core ROM

https://photos.app.goo.gl/WljReTaxbIIyXNgu1

> I've wondered about doing the plexiglass thing too, just for display
> purposes (the planes are damaged on both boards that I have, and I'm not
> sure if anyone has an intact MAC-16 anywhere anyway), but then I got to
> wondering what the point was given that it needs magnification to really
> see anything anyway :-)

Plexiglass works well for small planes. I have one which was about 5"x5".
I had a local plastic stop cut me 2 7"x7"x1/5" squares, plus 1 7x7x1/8
with a 5x5 square cut in the center.  Then I made a sandwich of the 3,
with the plane in the cutout. I drilled a hole in each corner to put a bolt
through it. Short bolts on the top, but extra long ones on the bottom, so
I could use it as a stand.

I would send a picture, but it is in my office, which I have been locked
out of for a month.