DEC OS/8 Question (getting an error TOO BIG INIT)

Bill Degnan billdegnan at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 23:42:58 CDT 2020

On Thu, Apr 9, 2020, 11:05 PM Rick Murphy via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org>
wrote:

> On 4/8/2020 6:58 PM, Richard Sheppard via cctalk wrote:
> > I’m just going to guess (I have no experience with this architecture) –
> would that mean either file corruption – or possibly the last record needs
> to be padded out with “empty” blocks to be the same size as the others?
> >

> What are you doing when you get that message?
>
>      -Ric

I have an emulated rk05 disk running on simH.  Pdp 8i with 32K.   The issue
was that I was missing two files

Here is what works (from Dave Gesswein's site:), I was missing the 3rd and
4th lines:

.R FRTS
*ADVENT
*ADVENT.TX/1
*ADVENT.DA/2
*$
.SAVE SYS ADVENT !Save the game
.R ADVENT !And play.

After the above one can just run the SV file to run Adventure:

.R ADVENT.SV

Also...if ADVENT is not in the boot partition you have to specify, i.e.

.R RKB0:ADVENT.SV

Bill