Partial success (SIMH TSS/8), new problem has me stumped

Charles charlesmorris800 at centurytel.net
Sat Sep 14 22:40:58 CDT 2019

I finally managed to get TSS/8 running under SIMH V4... console on the
laptop, a time-sharing line (TTIX port 23) on an ADM-3A (much quieter while
debugging) :)
The interface is the Volpe current-loop to USB board, a small freeware
program "COM By TCP" to allow a TCP port (USB is COM4, TCP is 127.0.0.1 port
23).

So far so good. But I am having connection problems with the data coming
from SIMH to the terminal.
At 110 baud I only get a few characters before the serial-TCP program hangs
with this write-timeout message:

22:24:11:   Socket connected to 127.0.0.1:23
22:24:11:   SOCK: Unable to write on COM. The port is CLOSED.. <-- this is
because I didn't "Get COM" first.
22:24:13:   COM4 correctly opened!
22:24:24:   System.TimeoutException: The write timed out.
   at System.IO.Ports.SerialStream.Write(Byte[] array, Int32 offset, Int32
count, Int32 timeout)
   at System.IO.Ports.SerialPort.Write(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32
count)
   at COMbyTCP.Form.sockClient_dataRecived(Byte[] buffer, Int32
bytesRecived)

I tried at 1200 baud and the same problem occurs, I can just get more
characters before the terminal screen freezes.
Nothing's locked up except the downstream SIMH data (i.e. I can hit Return
on the terminal and the TSS/8 dot prompt reappears).
It is repeatable regardless of what I am trying to do on the terminal. Only
very small outputs come through in their entirety without this error
message.
I don't think it's the current-loop board, which has an onboard micro fast
enough to translate Baudot on the fly. And the receive light stops
flickering at the same time the write timeout message pops up.

Does anyone know how I can extend the timeout parameter... is this a Windows
networking problem, or something flaky in the freeware serial-TCP program?
thanks
Charles

---