2.11 BSD on an 11/93 with an CMD SCSI Module

Glen Slick glen.slick at gmail.com
Fri Mar 15 21:28:10 CDT 2019

On Fri, Mar 15, 2019 at 1:55 PM Bill Gunshannon via cctalk
<cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> Can I assume that all the patches have been applied and tested and
> none of them have been rescinded?
>
> Next, can I assume one need only apply them all in order to bring a
> system up to current level?
>
> And then the logical direction this is going.  Is there any where I
> can find a file containing all of the patches already unpacked so I
> can feed them all into a system just installed?  Dealing with them
> in the only format I have found so far could take weeks to actually
> run them.  :-)

I already replied to Bill off list with some additional information.
I'll reply to the list in case anyone else runs into this for the
first time. You don't need to apply *all* of the patches starting from
the very beginning.

If you started with the distribution here (or some mirror of it) it is
already at patch level 431:

https://www.tuhs.org/Archive/Distributions/UCB/2.11BSD/

https://www.tuhs.org/Archive/Distributions/UCB/2.11BSD/VERSION
Current Patch Level: 431
Date: April 21, 2000

So patches only need to be applied starting with 432.

The time frame of patches 432 through 444 is 2000 through 2003, so
somewhat close to the 2.11BSD distribution release referenced above.
Then patches 445 through 447 are 2006 through 2008.
Then patches 448 through 450 are somewhat recent, 2015 through 2016.

I haven't bothered installing anything beyond patch 444 when I set up
some 2.11BSD systems in the past. I did try patch 445, which is
supposed to fix issues running on a system with no FP unit, but that
didn't seem to help when I was trying to get 2.11BSD to run on a
QED-993 CPU, which lacks FP support. Never did get 2.11BSD (or RSTS/E)
to run on the QED-993 CPU.

The individual patch files can currently be found here:

https://www.retro11.de/data/211bsd/patches/

These mirrors seem to come and go over time so you might want to grab
a copy of the patch files while you can so you don't have to go
looking for them somewhere else in the future.