Thinking about PDP11 PC05 Emulation

Henk Gooijen henk.gooijen at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 11 13:39:25 CDT 2019

Hi Jay,

Have a look at www.pdp-11.nl/peripherals/tape/pc05-simh-pc.html<http://www.pdp-11.nl/peripherals/tape/pc05-simh-pc.html>

If you are interested I can tell you more …

I can read and punch tape. PC05 + interface (PIC 18F4550) connects using RX/TX to USB to PC.

Reading one character at a time works fine (speed some 20 char/sec, so-called start-stop mode).

Reading in “streaming mode” is probably some 300 char/sec, but I get unexplained “out-of-paper” state sometimes, and reading stops (of course).

To read from the PC05 reader you need IOP2, IOP4, and INT*. Maybe BUSY* is needed, not sure about that.

INITIALIZE* is good to have as well. A few other signals (for example IOP1) needs to be connected to an appropriate level. And 8 data inputs, which need a pull-up resistor. Note that the data from the reader is inverted.

To punch you only need IOP4 (IIRC) and of course 8 data outputs.

As you know, reader and punch are two completely isolated devices.

Greetz,

Henk