Bogus "account hacked" message

Grant Taylor cctalk at gtaylor.tnetconsulting.net
Tue Jan 8 14:41:00 CST 2019

On 01/08/2019 01:25 PM, John Rollins via cctalk wrote:
> That they found an address used only for a certain mailing list makes
> it more interesting. Doing a quick Google search it looks like the list
> archives can be searched through, and while the addresses appear to be
> slightly obfuscated using “at” instead of “@“, it’s feasible
> that the address was picked up by a random email address scraping of
> web data.

I've wondered if some unscrupulous person has subscribed to the list so
that they can receive a steady stream of email addresses that they can
potentially send spam / phishing emails to.

I don't remember ever getting one of these types of messages.  So I
can't comment about them with anything other than 2nd (or more) hand
knowledge.  Though I run fairly tight anti-spam / anti-virus
configuration on my server.

I would actually be interested in seeing full messages source, including
headers, for some of the messages.  (If anyone is willing and interested
in sharing.)

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die