Bogus "account hacked" message

John Rollins kd7bcy at kd7bcy.com
Tue Jan 8 14:25:14 CST 2019

I have received numerous such emails. They are all junk and not worth reading or being concerned about. They compile lists of email addresses, usually from old hacks, and then claim they have your password. Sometimes the password is included in the email - sometimes it is an out of date password that was valid when a site was hacked(so you can see there COULD be an issue with passwords that don’t get changed regularly, or that get re-used at multiple sites/servers) - often a site password while they claim it to be an email password. They claim to have hacked into your computer somehow using that information and are threatening to release “compromising information” that doesn’t actually exist.

That they found an address used only for a certain mailing list makes it more interesting. Doing a quick Google search it looks like the list archives can be searched through, and while the addresses appear to be slightly obfuscated using “at” instead of “@“, it’s feasible that the address was picked up by a random email address scraping of web data.