OT? Upper limits of FSB

alan at alanlee.org alan at alanlee.org
Sat Jan 5 06:31:58 CST 2019

I'll assume you've read:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Front-side_bus

Even though synchronization base clocks have remained low, parallel
buses can run up in the low GHz range (sub 4) in terms of data line
transitions per second with as many as 128 parallel wires in sync.  It's
not just FSBs, memory is the same way.  While parasitic effects do
affect the limit.  Routing 192, 288, etc wires in parallel with matched
trace length on a PCB to get arrival times in-phase has been a large
problem as well.  So the trend is rather than running more and more
wires in parallel with synchronized transfers across the entire span,
span are being broken up into smaller and smaller units that run either
unsynchronized or with their own timing delays.  Even with memory -
starting with DDR3 - each byte group is 'trained' separately by the
controller and can run at different phase offsets to match the trace
group routing.  And parallel FSBs have been replaced with <n> number of
differential pairs running independently as the data is queued and
reassembled on the receiving end (QPI & HyperTransport).

Same trend in I/O buses starting with PCIe.  Instead of 64 wires @ 66
MHz in PCI-X, a dual lane PCIe gen 1.0 link can handle a similar load
with just 6 wires.

-Alan