Tight clearance bit holder

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Thu Feb 7 22:50:55 CST 2019

On Thu, Feb 7, 2019, 5:47 PM Chuck Guzis via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org
wrote:

> On 2/7/19 2:01 PM, Fred Cisin via cctalk wrote:
> > On Wed, 6 Feb 2019, Chuck Guzis via cctalk wrote:
> >> Ratchet right-angle screwdrivers are also an option, as are ball-end
> >> allen wrenches or offset-head screwdrivers.  None are particularly dear.
> >
> > After half a century of using the cheap crap, first the stamped chrome
> > ones, and then the black ones from Hazard Fraught, I have found one that
> > I like:
> >
> https://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Ratchet-Swisstool-Spirit-Multi-Tool/dp/B00LFKZ374
> >

> > It's much smaller, sleeker and works well.  You need to flip it over to
> > reverse.     Made by Victorinox (Swiss army knife). About five times the
> > price of Hazard Fraught.
> > I have NOT yet seen how it withstands abuse, such as hitting with a
> > hammer, or putting a pipe on the end to exceed its torque range.
>
> In a pinch, I've used one of my made-in-China 1/4" ratchet wrench and a
> screwdriver bit.  It's about as slim as they come.  My set (from 1983 is
> real Chinese--"Laughing Swan" brand or some such.
>
> Looks something like this:
>

> https://www.amazon.com/Apollo-Tools-DT1212-Ratcheting-5-Piece/dp/B002OHDXYM/
>
> But I like the idea of just supporting the thing from the bottom.  Can't
> get better than that from a mechanical standpoint.

Years ago I loved the idea of rack mount since you just needed the ears.
But now all my rack mount gear winds up living on L brackets mounted in the
rack to act as shelves... at least for hobbyist use. It is easier and
simpler to get angle iron and cut it to length and bolt it in place than
deal with heavy or awkward gear on rails... but I've admittedly never had a
200 lbs tape drive to deal with...

Warner