PDP-11/45 RSTS/E boot problem

Jay Jaeger cube1 at charter.net
Tue Feb 5 08:20:26 CST 2019

> Yeah, it may come to that. One issue we've been having is doing specialized
> test programmes; trying to run the C compiler fails. I don't know about the
> assembler, though. And as Fritz mentioned, it takes hours to load a new disk
> image. I think we've come up with a way around that, though; produce binary
> of stand-alone tests elsewhere (I've often/always got a v6 running on
> Ersatz-11 here), and load them into the /45's main memory with PDP11GUI.
>
> 	Noel

Perhaps compile it under SimH and do a block-level diff of the image
with what is currently in use, and transfer just those blocks?
(Presumably would be the superblock, bitmap, directory and actual
program blocks).

For my setup I use a DR11 to transfer data, using an Arduino with
Ethernet as a go-between my PC and the PDP-11.