PDP-11/45 RSTS/E boot problem

Jay Jaeger cube1 at charter.net
Mon Feb 4 16:20:19 CST 2019

On 2/4/2019 11:34 AM, Fritz Mueller via cctech wrote:

>> On Feb 4, 2019, at 9:13 AM, Jay Jaeger <cube1 at charter.net> wrote:
>>
>> If he hasn't already, if Fritz has more than one memory board, he might
>> try swapping them to see if that changes anything.
>
> I only have an 128kw MS11-L here to work with, unfortunately.  Its been through a bunch of recent troubleshooting (tracking down and replacing failed DRAMs).  I *think* its pretty solid at this point (also passing some of the hairier DEC diagnostics) but...
>
> I'd be happy to try out a different memory board if anybody was interested in sending out a loaner?  (I'm in the SF Bay area).

Well it turns out I have a couple of spares, but maybe someone closer
would be easier (Madison, WI  53711)

I have an MS11-LB, 64Kw, M7891-BB and two MS11-LD, 128Kw, M7891-DB and
an M7891-D?

So, two of these are newer revisions (rather than M7891-xA) - I have no
idea what the difference is.  On that last one I probably didn't record
where it was D, DB or DA

I also have quite a few RK05 packs and would be willing to sell one (and
I have boxes to ship boards and packs in).  The ones I am most willing
to part with would need their open/close springs removed, as they are
broken and dangerous to the platter in their current condition, but are
otherwise fine.  I would just remove the spring.

$20 for a pack is what I usually price them at, plus shipping.  (PayPal,
preferably)

The board would be a loan (with compensation for time spent if it is bad
*and* gets fixed) ;).

Let me know - might take me a couple of days to hunt the board down and
remove the spring and re-test the pack and pack everything up and ship
it.  (in my 11/34 which runs @rkunix V6 just fine.  ;))

JRJ