I'm sharing a toy

Frank McConnell fmc at reanimators.org
Thu Aug 8 19:52:38 CDT 2019

On Aug 8, 2019, at 16:52, Zane Healy wrote:

> On Aug 8, 2019, at 4:29 PM, Frank McConnell via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>> One of the things I have found with the Pi is, the low end micro SD cards (P*tr**t and K*ngst*n would match the ones that did this) are lossy storage.  It’s not that they wear out, it’s that they lose bits.  Switching power supply to one sufficient for the Pi did not solve this problem, they continued to lose bits.
>>
>> -Frank McConnell
>
> With my RPi2B, my wife tripped a breaker, and scrambled the card.  That was a Lexar SD card.  Of course that was also one of the critical systems in my VMS Cluster.  I’ve moved to VM’s, on my VMware cluster, for all my OpenVMS systems.  My one Rpi3B runs Multics, the other TOPS-20.  I’m thinking about rebuilding the RPi2B as a PDP-11.

No interruptions of power to running systems, just cards left idle after shutdown -P for some days/weeks/months while I worked on others.

At first I was running from a weak (5V 1A) power supply and thought that cute lightning-bolt icon on-screen was its way of indicating that it was writing to its flash storage.  I switched to a recommended power supply that met the stated requirements and still had data loss in further experiments with (freshly re-installed and left idle) cards that had lost bits previously.

-Frank McConnell