I'm sharing a toy

Zane Healy healyzh at avanthar.com
Thu Aug 8 18:52:34 CDT 2019

> On Aug 8, 2019, at 4:29 PM, Frank McConnell via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>
> On Aug 7, 2019, at 22:18, Adam Thornton wrote:
>>
>> https://mvsevm.fsf.net
>>
>> Currently, the TOPS-10 guest account (42,42) and the Unix v7 account dmr have no passwords.
>>
>> Please treat the dmr account respectfully.
>>
>> I will get to account requests…eventually, probably.  TImeliness is not guaranteed.  All systems are hosted on Raspberry Pis (the 36-bit ones on a Pi 3B+ and the 16-bit and 32-bit ones on a Pi 2B+) on Debian Buster.  Absolutely no guarantee of availability or usability is made.
>
> Thanks.  I had a brief look around the 36-bit systems last night.
>
> One of my tests for a Pi 3 B was to build and run the SIMH HP3000 on it.  Being able to do that means having git to get the SIMH source, gcc and gmake to build, (curl|wget) to get the MPE V/R bits, unzip to extract.  The prerequisites were what I wanted for other Pi stuff and this was a good workflow to find out what was missing from the Jessie Lite image (yes it was that long ago, in Stretch and Buster I think I have found all those packages are already present).
>
> One of the things I have found with the Pi is, the low end micro SD cards (P*tr**t and K*ngst*n would match the ones that did this) are lossy storage.  It’s not that they wear out, it’s that they lose bits.  Switching power supply to one sufficient for the Pi did not solve this problem, they continued to lose bits.
>
> -Frank McConnell

With my RPi2B, my wife tripped a breaker, and scrambled the card.  That was a Lexar SD card.  Of course that was also one of the critical systems in my VMS Cluster.  I’ve moved to VM’s, on my VMware cluster, for all my OpenVMS systems.  My one Rpi3B runs Multics, the other TOPS-20.  I’m thinking about rebuilding the RPi2B as a PDP-11.

Zane