70's computers

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Wed Oct 24 13:31:41 CDT 2018

> On Oct 24, 2018, at 2:22 PM, ben via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>
> On 10/24/2018 11:57 AM, Al Kossow via cctalk wrote:
>> On 10/24/18 10:53 AM, ben via cctalk wrote:
>>> I have no idea what is in a modern home computer, but I suspect
>>> it still follows the same design of the IBM PC. Single CPU
>>> with segmented memory and bit of DMA here and there.
>> Wow...
>> You are out of touch, aren't you.
>
> Am I really, every thing is so backwards compatable with the classic
> PC's I don't see much new other than what was hacked on.

Single CPU, segmented memory?  No.  Multiple CPUs (8 or so in my laptop, many more in servers).  Flat 64 bit address space.

It's true that the original 8086 instruction set lives on with all its warts, and many more added over the years.  And yes, I guess that you *can* run them in 32 bit segmented mode if you're crazy.  But that's not how they are actually used.  The same applies to other successful architectures: MIPS, IBM 360.  Or programming languages -- consider C for a particularly horrid example, or worse yet C++.

Al is right.  You might benefit from some more studying of these subjects.

	paul