FixMeStick

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Tue Nov 27 19:45:53 CST 2018

On Tue, 27 Nov 2018, systems_glitch via cctalk wrote:
> Scorched earth, it's the only way to be sure.
> Never trusted a system after compromise, even vintage ones :P

On Classic machines, a low-level format of the hard drive, done on another
machine, should be fine, or even after a clean floppy boot (but "clean
floppy boot" seemed to go away with WIN95 - "Why am I getting hard drive
activity before even getting the prompt?")

But, with over-writeable BIOS, I'm not so sure any more.

BTW, in lieu of SUBSCRIBING to FixMeStick, there are other ones available.
IFF you can follow instructions (an obvious obstacle for FixMeStick's
target customers), you can download and create a wide variety of them.
Some CD, some USB.
Even Microsoft has one!  "Windows Defender Offline" does all of the steps
for you to create a 300MB BOOTABLE USB thumb drive for XP, Win7, 8,
10, that goes straight to running its own copy of Microsoft "Security
Essentials".

Grumpy Ol' Fred     		cisin at xenosoft.com