cctalk/cctech

Tomasz Rola rtomek at ceti.pl
Tue Nov 27 13:00:50 CST 2018

On Tue, Nov 27, 2018 at 08:59:35AM -0700, Grant Taylor via cctalk wrote:
> On 11/27/2018 12:15 AM, Lawrence Wilkinson via cctalk wrote:
> >I think if everyone can refrain from posting non-cc stuff (and in
> >this I would include: Queries about modern HW or SW without a
> >direct CC relevance, long threads about character encoding
> >schemes...) then we could go to a single list, but one might have
> >to get used to being jumped on if posting something regarded as
> >off-topic, and perhaps finding oneself moderated if persisting.
>
> I can't speak for others.  But I will say that I do enjoy the
> somewhat open forum for things like long threads about character
> encoding schemes or other such topics.

Me too.

I suspect there is a number of people here, who not quite belong to
any other place. I am not a great enthusiast of modern computer
technology, for example. Other than a fact that I have an equivalent
of 1990-ties supercomputer at a hand's reach, mostly thanks to users
making pitiful choices requiring more and more power, to run those Mac
and PC emulators in Javascript. Not to mention the very affordable
used _portable_ (yikes!) supercomputers or as of recently _pocket_
(yay!!) supercomputers (alas, almost unusable because of stupid HW
choices offering no security, but I am not sure if it was possible to
make better choices).

Limiting discussion to only strict cc-related topics will hugely
deprive everybody, IMHO. This list should not be only a talk of museum
keepers, but in my opinion it should be used to learn from the past
and maybe try to do better in a future (if not for learning, I see no
purpose to have a museum of any kind). Having a look at past provides
me with interesting insights (try asking a casual user about his/her
thoughts on pocket supercomputers, and have sad laugh).

Speaking of long threads, there was a four or six weeks long thread
about terminals, most of which (if not all) I will never be able to
touch and so I skipped it all (it was interesting, but I have a ton of
things to be read and thus I have to be very selective). No complaints
however. Maybe I will one day undust those from my archives.

--
Regards,
Tomasz Rola