Text encoding Babel. Was Re: George Keremedjiev

Tomasz Rola rtomek at ceti.pl
Sun Nov 25 19:02:45 CST 2018

On Sun, Nov 25, 2018 at 04:46:50PM -0800, Fred Cisin via cctalk wrote:
[...]
> Is FORTRAN considered modern enough?
[...]
> What about APL?  Although its structure is fairly straight-forward,
> it does, indeed, have a unique character set.

To supply this train of thought with some numbers:

 - my copy of Common Lisp HyperSpec claims 978 symbols (i.e. words) on
   its alphabetical index; many words have modifiers (a.k.a. keyword
   options, with default values) which increases the number at least
   twofold, IMHO, if one agrees that each combo should be counted as
   different word, to which I would say yes

 - I have read somewhere that Japanese pupil after graduating from
   elementary school is supposed to know 1000 kanjis by heart (there
   is a standardised set, I have a book)

--
Regards,
Tomasz Rola